Followers

Friday 5 July 2013

Why I make miniatures. The reasons may surprise you!

Two posts in one day, yes.

There are the more obvious reasons of why I am compelled to create miniatures:

  1. I love tiny things
  2. Miniatures allow me to use many creative talents, including painting, graphic design, and my imagination!
  3. I always wanted a dollhouse as a child and didn't have one. I'm making up for lost time.


Today I had a discouraging experience with a governmental agency. Unfortunately, I need to deal with them on a regular basis. The anger I felt was not only on my behalf. I have learned over the years to be quite adept at advocating on my own behalf, and feel very comfortable doing so. What bothers me more is that others depend on this agency, and many do not have the skills, knowledge or where with all to advocate for themselves when they are treated disrespectfully or unfairly.

Shortly after, I had dinner with my parents and we discussed my feelings of anger and how they could be channelled into something productive.

I spoke to them about how anger is necessary, because it sparks change. I told them that toxic anger is unproductive, but there is another kind of anger that is an appropriate reaction to an injustice. I told them I plan to become an activist. When this will happen, I'm not sure.

I shared some quotes with my parents that I take very seriously.

"If not here, where? If not now, when? If not me, who?" ~ Anonymous

These next words were spoken at Women's Rights Convention in 1855 by Lucy Stone: "In education, in marriage, in religion, in everything, disappointment is the lot of woman. It shall be the business of my life to deepen this disappointment in every woman's heart until she bows down to it no longer."

It is my goal in life to deepen my disappointments, pay attention to any anger I feel that is an appropriate response to an injustice, and continually look for ways to use this dissatisfaction as a motivation to bring about change. Small changes lead to big changes.

So let's get to some more personal reasons as to why I make miniatures


  1. It is the best antidote I know of to deal with despair, tragedy, loss, and the everyday stresses of life
  2. I don't think of miniatures as escapism. When I am working on a miniature project, I am wholly absorbed in what I am doing. This is necessary if I want to create something I am proud of
  3. It is my way of lighting a candle in the dark when the world around me frustrates me or overwhelms me.
  4. I think all art is a form of prayer
  5. Art is a vital, essential part of our culture. We can never know the effect we have on another person's life. If my miniatures bring pleasure and enjoyment to others, I feel both privileged that something I create has this effect, and grateful that I have been given the chance to make someone else's life a little brighter
  6. My maternal Grandma lived with the same chronic illness that I do. She also loved dolls and collecting small things (She also made my sister and I dollhouse furniture out of clothespins!) Her illness was never successfully treated. Mine has been, although there is no magic cure and I experience setbacks. When I create miniatures, I am honouring her memory. She was ill at a time when there were very few treatments available to her. I often think that I am fighting this illness for both of us, even though she passed away in 1993. I like to think that the healing I've experienced help make sense of the healing that was elusive for her.
I hope I have not lost you in these rather convoluted blog post, and I am grateful for every single one of you, because you have joined me on a very important and exciting journey.

Good night and Sweet Dreams to all of you. (It is midnight here.)

Ruth

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful words, Ruth. :-)

    - Audra <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hun. I knew you would understand. It's important to use anger as a tool, and not let anger and bitterness erode our spirit. Saw you wrote a new post. Will read it tomorrow
      Xoxo

      Delete
  2. very good and thoughtfull words!! I always find it ever so comforting and beautiful when others also share their thoughts, feelings , fears...resolutions! Thank you! It is very touching to read about your Grandma and you..i am sure she would be very proud of you! All the best, and YES mini-making is ever so wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna...your sweet words warm my heart.
      Hugs and kisses,
      Ruth

      Delete
  3. Just what the miniaturist needs. In the midst of everything a break to reflect is often missed.
    Thanks
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What many people don't know is this blog started out called "My Krafty Life" so I could talk about ALL my creative endeavors but I wasn't attracting followers so I decided to pick my stronest love, miniatures, but if I could I would also spout off about pretty much anything. I broke up with facebook because I really can't stand how fake it is and I occasionally miss sharing my opinions on "all and sundry" :P So I sneak things into my miniatures blog whenever I can

      Delete
    2. strongest, you must forgive me, didn't sleep a wink last night, if this continues I shouldn't have a problem getting through that list!

      Delete
  4. I so agree with you, I use my miniatures to lose myself when the stresses of the day is to much or my illness is taking over, I have been known to get in the middle of the night when I am unable to sleep and sit and create in my work room, works better than any therapist x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therapy has its place. But even my therapist thinks its a great idea to get out of bed to work on minis when I can't sleep. It's better than what I used to do before I discovered minis, which was just thrash around in bed and ruminate.
      Play is the best therapy. And adults need to play just as much (maybe more) than children do

      Delete
  5. Lots of interesting points here, Ruth. Both blogging and miniatures are good outlets, eh? We're so lucky we've found both! Thanks for sharing. xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right Jennifer! Finances do not permit me do noas much travelling as I would like. The next best thing is to share this wonderful hoppy with friends from all over the world and learn about traditions from all different countries!
      XX
      Ruth

      Delete
  6. I think that there hides many personal destinies behind us miniature bloger. I am in contact with many, where working with this hobby, offers them the tranquility and contemplation of a life that can be extremely challenging.
    I myself am one of those, as you know. I love this hobby. It is usually meditation for me. I must be careful not to be too engrossed in it. It happens occasionally.

    You also get into something about womankind. I have a poem from a Danish woman who wrote it in the 70s. It means a lot to me.


    Vulnerable. Maybe.
    Because I have feelings in a world of anxiety.
    But weak because I'm a woman - no way -
    It is precisely
    My foundation and my strength.

    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the poem that you shared with me, Wyrna. I will write it in my journal. Women are gentle but they are unbelievable strong. Part of our strength is our ability to support each other.
      Hugs,
      Ruth

      Delete

I love hearing your feedback. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...