Followers

Tuesday 25 September 2012

I just removed the word verification feature

The word verification feature is set up as a default to anyone who starts a blog with Blogger. If you love to comment on other blogs, I think you know what I'm talking about. The wavy letters, combined with a number. Usually illegible enough that I need to click on the tiny grey circle several times before it pops out one that I can read!

I have kept this feature because according to Google, it's necessary to avoid spam. I removed it because I want to make it easier for people (especially for my older relatives who subscribe by email), to comment on posts.

I don't think my blog is a huge target for spam, but if that becomes an issue, I can always switch to comment approval.

Would you like to change these settings on your blog? Let me know and I'll write a tutorial on it. Next week! Because I'm up to my ears in packing boxes right now, and scheming about my mom's present on the side.
Mini Hugs,
Ruth

6 comments:

  1. I haven't had a problem with spam, in 17 months of having my blog I have only had to remove 1 comment. Some blogs that get more traffic than mine may have more problems, preapproving comments seems like a good solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth...I did one awhile back...http://jazziminis.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/be-gone-word-verification.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you've blogged about this Ruth, it really is one of my pet hates. I think many bloggers loathe verification.
    You know, sometimes when I'm leaving a comment and even after the trouble of typing my comment out, if it then asks for me to verify I actually completely cancel my comment and just exit out as I can't be bothered with it all. I wonder if many of us do the same?
    I think the more blog owners we can get onboard to stop using it, the better. There are plenty of other ways to catch spammers we can use in its place. But that's just my little opinion only ;)
    Keep up the great work.
    Hugs, Mins ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea. I totally do!!!





    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello
    Welcome to my blog, A Fairytale Come True. Lovely you found me, so I found the you too. I'm also really fascinated than we bloggers across national borders, it is what makes it all so amazing. I get so inspired by someone else's blog and it's quite beautiful.
    see you soon
    hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Ruth!
    I hate word verification!
    I love to leave comments to my blogfriends, and it is so bad when the blog has word verification, many times I have to try 3, 4, 5 times!
    Mini hugs from Brazil!
    Mariana.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your feedback. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...